Monday, December 27, 2010

Okay, I puked.

So my wife brings me a plate of food prepared by her mother for Christmas dinner. It consisted of the usual Romanian fare. A huge lump of cold and bland mamaliga (polenta), a piece of grilled pork, cooked to perfection (burnt on the outside, bleeding in the middle), an unidentifiable sausage tasting of cardboard smoked on pressure treated lumber. There was also pickled watermelon, because, why eat a pickle that tastes like a pickle, when you can eat a watermelon that tastes like a pickle? And then, there was something else.  A new type of cheese I had never tried. This cheese was not prepared by my mother-in-law, but was purchased from the local farmer's market and sold by this woman:
Please note that the woman is cleverly wearing a fake mustache to conceal her true identity.

Now, this is just where she sells the cheese, it is produced in her very modern production facility, featured here:

Okay, so I love cheeses of all sorts, so I was happy to try something new.

I puked:

It seems this type of cheese is a delicacy. How it differs from most Romanian cheese is that this is simply fresh milk poured into a cow's stomach and left to do it's thing until it become something that looks like a semi-soft cheese. I'm told that in time, the flavor gets even stronger. I thought cheese was safe. For christ's sake, even the faggy French cheeses are at least edible, but this is the most horrible stuff I have ever eaten in my life. Stay away from strange cheeses, especially sold by old women wearing false mustaches.


No comments: