Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Grass Conversation

I planted a nice lawn outside of my bar. I'm normally not obsessive about things, but there's something quintessentially American about a perfect green lawn that I take great pride in maintaining it.

My wife was talking with a customer who was upset by my "wasteful spending"but who appreciated the practicality of my lawn. My wife, puzzled, asked why he would think it was so expensive? The customer replied that only a lazy, rich, American would install artificial grass to keep from maintaining it.

I was later accused of the same thing by another customer. "Americans are always wasting money", I was told. The guy wanted to know how much I spent on the lawn. I told him I spent about 40 ron on grass seeds. "No, you can not trick me! I know you imported this lawn from Ireland!" He said he had spent some time in Ireland and had seen this grass there. I told him it was a possibility, but that this grass was common throughout the world.
"Look" I said, "In the neighbor's yard is growing the same kind of grass!"
"No, no, no... That is Romanian grass! See how tall it is! Your grass grows short and is all exactly the same height! Tell me! How much did you pay!?"
"You are right" I said "It cost me 2,000 ron...for a LAWNMOWER!"

No comments: