Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I should clarify.

Romanians are always asking my honest opinion of Romania. When I tell them, they tell me I am wrong. Have I been to the mountains? The sea? The Danube? Yes, I've been to those places. I've seen the monasteries, the markets, the weddings, the pig sacrifices... I haven't seen it all. I've seen enough.

Romania is blessed by some beautiful geography. It is a beautiful country. But like the Romanians themselves say "Too bad it is inhabited."

When I'm ranting and raving about Romania, I'm not speaking of all of Romania. I am speaking of my life on the end of a dirty street amidst blocs, dogs and trash. I'm speaking about Iasi, in Moldova.


Transylvania is beautiful, so is Brasov, Cluj, Sibiu... There are many places in Romania that I would make home.
Brasov

Cluj


The xenophobic, racist, homophobic and rude people of Iasi have not endeared themselves to me, nor has the city itself. Sure, there are exceptions. I have made friends in Iasi, but very few.

No comments: